You'd think the Spring Bank Holiday on 29th May would be a day for relaxing with the family, maybe going on a long country walk, or catching up with friends you've not seen in a while, right? Not anymore
Precious family time has been ditched and home renovations are where people’s hearts are these days, with DIY Retailers reporting higher-than-average sales on each of the 8 UK bank holidays each year.
It’s partly due to the way everyone from the big stores like B&Q, Homebase and Argos to smaller independent DIY retailers lure people in with offers, but also because the extra day off work gives people the time to make a start on the household jobs that have been nagging away at them for months.
The UK’s approach to DIY
DIY and gadget specialist Maplin surveyed 733 people about their DIY habits:
- 93% of people have attempted DIY at some point in their life
- 43% of people have injured themselves doing DIY
- 4% of those injured had to go to hospital
- 7% admitted to having injured somebody else while doing DIY
- 41% of people would rather pay a professional than do DIY themselves
- 33% of people spent over £500 on DIY in the past year
What DIY jobs have you been putting off?
We all have those little jobs that we know would make our home nicer, but we just don’t have the time or inclination to get started. Here are five of the most common DIY jobs you can do yourself…
- Redecorating - painting is easier than ever thanks to effortless rollers, and if you have a steady hand, wallpapering is a doddle too.
- Cleaning your gutters - all it takes is a pair of ladders, some gloves and a bin bag to de-clog your gutters and keep your drains clear.
- Re-grouting - if your kitchen or bathroom tiles look tired around the edges, all you need is a tile scraper and some grout mix to make them look like new.
- Cleaning driveways or patios - high pressure jet washers can have your grimy paving slabs or stones looking like new, and you can even hire the equipment instead of buying
- New flooring – laying a carpet yourself can be a little tricky, but laminate flooring and newer LVT (Luxury Vinyl Tiles) are simple to fit by DIY enthusiasts.
If you’ve been thinking about LVT…
Create a statement floor in your home with a HD textured finish, using our high quality,Luvanto LVT which can offer considerable savings against leading brand names.
You can choose from 35 styles including wood, stone and contemporary see how it’ll look in any room of your home with the amazing Luvanto 3D Room Viewer.
Plus, if you’re feeling lazy this Spring Bank Holiday, you can have it professionally fitted without lifting a finger!